Companion: Sister Rossberg
Area: Mandama
Sister Training Leader
Monday,
June 23, 2014
Hello
gang, great week yet again!
Yes, the
rumor is true. Sister Rossberg and I will be here together in Mandama for
another 8 weeks, and I will be her last companion of her mission, WINNER! haha.
We have a new zone leader, Elder K from Sri Lanka, I am not even going to
attempt to spell his last name. He is awesome though and has brought a whole
new spark to our zone for sure. He gave an awesome spiritual instruction at
district meeting on Friday about his experience as a branch missionary before
his mission. His Branch President gave a talk about how it is illegal for there
to be missionaries in their country, that being said, the branch missionaries
and other members were the only way for the gospel to be spread in their
country. Elder K and a fellow branch missionary moved two hours away from their
home town and served practically as a full time missionary, creating their own
branch, and getting the attendance from 0 to 35 in two months. He became the
Branch President and was able to see the fruits of his efforts before he was
then called to serve as a full time missionary here in the Philippines. What an
incredible experience, and he is an awesome missionary. Elder Longson is our
new district leader, batcccchhh. Looking forward to seeing what will happen
with our zone this transfer.
Sister
Rossberg and I made it a goal for us to knock on every single door in our area
of Mandama. The area has all of a sudden become a lot bigger than we remember.
But we are up for the challenge and figure if we have two months, it's totally
possible and we will most definitely find the elect. Just like the rain, the
blessings are starting to pour here in Mandama. We beat the record for our
area for the most investigators and less actives to come to church in the past
year. We had 7 investigators and 5 less actives at church, it was a beautiful
Sunday to say the least.
We
received a member referral this week, the Dabued Family. Sister Dabued (JO,37)
lives with her daughter Mitchie (10) and is also taking care of her older
sister's daughters Hazel (15) and Charlene (16). We taught them Saturday night
and extended the invitation for them to come to church on Sunday, which they
did! They were super involved in all the classes and had tons of questions for
the teacher, it was awesome. The Llego family also attended church, they will
be baptized this July. Brother told us the other night that baptism isn't just
a whatever thing to him. He wants to make sure that once he is baptized, he is
going to stay active FOREVER. So he still needs to work some things out with
his job to make sure that he can have every Sunday off in order to stay active.
We are very excited for their family, they will be an INCREDIBLE addition to
our Mandama Ward.
Sister
Rossberg and I have really seen the hand of the Lord in our work this past
week, and the past month we have been companions. It is easy to be discouraged
in missionary work, especially working in an area that most people would
complain about. It is easy to wonder what we are doing wrong as missionaries,
or to think of what we could have done better, or more so if we are even
qualified to do this work. But there was a quote I read by Henry B. Eyring from
a talk he wrote titled "Rise to Your Call". He said, "If [you]
only think of [your] own performance, [your sadness will] deepen. But..remember
that the Lord promised that His power would go with [you], [and] look for the
evidence of what He has done in the lives of the people [you] are to serve.
Pray to see with spiritual eyes the effects of His power." As I have done
so, I have come to realize a few things. One, it is true, I am inadequate to
serve in the vineyard of the Lord, IF I choose to do it alone. He will qualify
me for this calling WHEN I call upon Him for His help, and I allow Him to guide
me through the tough times. Two, As I become submissive to His will, rather
than my own, that is when I have found success in my mission. Three, Heavenly
Father LOVES His children. As I give my whole heart to Him, and keep His
commandments, I have come to know Him, and to understand Him. Four, I have been
but an instrument in bring this gospel and happiness into the lives of others.
Through Him, this work is able to continue to progress. I love my Heavenly
Father. I love this work. And I love the people here in the Philippines. I know
that I was called by a prophet through divine revelation to be serving here, at
the very time, companions with Sister Rossberg. I know that miracles will
continue to unfold through diligence, obedience, and hard dedicated work.
May we
all look for opportunities, whether big or small, to spread this gospel to the
four corners of the earth.
I love
you all, have a great week.
Sister
Pilkington
No comments:
Post a Comment