Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sunday, June 8, 2014

I love completing families!

Area:  Mandama
Companion:  Sister Rossberg
Sister Training Leader

                                                                                    Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hello hello.

We are a little bit rushed today as we are emailing during our language study time on a not pday, a little bit crazy but this week has been GREAT so far.
We started off the week with a cute little lunch date at bikers' cafe in Balanga. We shared a salad, sandwich, and fruit salad. AMERICAN FOOD. Miss it. We have been waking up at 4:45 every morning to work out. We run for 30 minutes and then do mat exercises, stretching, and then finish up all the paper work we weren't able to finish the night before. It's so true what they say, the longer on your mission, the less time you have to finish everything you need to.

Sister Rossberg and I have been blessed with finding a new family each week that we have been companions and hopefully that luck continues to stick. The new family of the week is the Viesca family. I had straight CULTURE SHOCK when we found their neighborhood. It's the only gated community in our area and is pretty much as close to America as you can get. I mean it has real sidewalks! Me and S. Rossberg had to laugh, we were walking down the street and I pointed out that there were sidewalks, then we looked at each other laughing because although there were sidewalks we were still walking on the street. They are a family of 5. Their kids are 16, 15, 10, all girls. We have taught two lessons to them now and they have committed to coming to church this Sunday. They also have TWO CARS, what the normal family! Weird. Anyways they are a young family and have so much potential, super nice, so we are really excited and hopeful that they will come to church tomorrow! Please pray for them!
 We were walking down the street one day contacting people and we stopped and talked to this one guy sweeping out front of his house, he just points to his house and goes, go inside there's some mormon's in there. We helped ourselves and walked right into the home to find the Trajano family--the two kids are members as well as their mother but their father is not, he was working abroad when their family was converted. He already knows everything pretty much about the church, he just wants to find out for himself if it's really true. We gave him a baptismal goal date yesterday for July 12 and he said yes! Love completing families :)
The Llego's are still doing INCREDIBLE, we had a moment with them this week that left me a little teary eyed. Brother Llego has not been able to come to church since we have been teaching them because he works on Sunday's. That has been concerning us on their progression because he needs to come to church of course in order to become a member and even more importantly to be active and find for himself the truthfulness of the gospel. We planned to teach them about keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. Bishop Malate and his wife came and worked with us. After we sang and said the opening prayer, brother just looks right at us and goes "Sisters, I know I haven't been able to make it to church, but don't worry I have a plan. I have been asking my boss for work off the past two Sundays in a row now. My first boss says yes but to check with my other boss. Everytime he says no, (because he doesn't want him to be able to go to church at the Mormon's church). So I have a plan, this week when he's in a good mood, I'm going to give him an articles of faith card, and then explain why I want to go to church with my family. I hope this works sisters, but if it doesn't, then next week I will just call in sick for work. Nobody is going to keep me from going to church with my family." He had the biggest smile across his face when he was done talking, so excited about his plan. Sister Rossberg and I pulled out this big white button up t-shirt we had found (crossing our fingers that it would fit him, he's a rather large man) and handed him two ties that we were hoping he would be able to wear this Sunday. He tried them on and it was a perfect fit. He goes "wow, Heavenly Father must really want me to go to church on Sunday, no shirts like this ever fit me!" I LOVE THIS FAM. They will be baptized this June no doubt in my mind. And again, they sent us off with a big bag of ripe mangoes.

It was President and Sister Querido's last MLC this week, very bittersweet. They are so excited to go home but so sad to leave. They have left behind a legend though, I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to meet them and learn from them the past year. From President Querido's constant smile, it's impossible to be sad or mad when he is around. He has the best sense of humor, and always knows how to make the tears run as well through his spiritually filled messages. The man is surely called of God. Then Sister Querido, the sassiest yet sweetest lady you will ever meet. She is like a second mom to me, and always gives me the biggest hug and kiss on the cheek when I see her. She came from a poor humble family and has become an incredible women both inside and out, such an example to me. I will miss them lots, they will both always be at the top of my heroes' list.

So grateful for this experience to serve my mission. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, that the church is true, and that my Heavenly Father lives and loves each and every single one of us.

Have a great week. Happy Birthday Nikki and Happy Anniversary to my incredible parents!!

Love,
Sister Pilkington
 


No comments: