Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Monday, June 30, 2014

Knocking EVERY door in Mandama!

Companion:  Sister Rossberg
Area:  Mandama
Sister Training Leader

                                                                                     Monday, June 30, 2014

MABUHAY friends and fam.

Great week this week. Sister Rossberg and I knocked some doors every day this week and it was probably the most fun I have had on my whole mission. Even though 9 out of the 10 people rejected us every single time, I felt so good at the end of the day coming home knowing that we had invited those people to learn. Something I've really come to understand as a missionary is that everyone has their free agency to accept or reject the gospel, whether they accept it or not doesn't make us any better or worse of a missionary, it's all just part of the calling to serve. 

The weather has been typical, weird. haha It will pour all morning, and then as soon as we go out it will get SUPER HOT, and super sunny, then it will rain again that night. It can't make up it's mind! This July though the weather should be getting more constant...straight up rain and humidity. That's it. Looking forward to it! We also experienced an earthquake this week. We were sitting in a lesson, and all of a sudden I felt super dizzy and felt like the room was spinning, I looked around and everything was moving, then I realized, it was an earthquake. All goods though, no harm done.

The four of us sisters here in Mandama somehow went broke this week, we had absolutely no money left, so we were literally living off of bread and energen (hot chocolate with oatmeal in it). Well somehow the ward found out and they all sprang into action. Every single day this week we were fed by the members of the ward. They would text us every day making sure someone was feeding us. Lots of members dropped by rice, snacks, ulam, and all sorts of things just to make sure that we could survive. It was amazing to see them turn around and serve us. We don't need to be served at all, but to see the happiness and the unity that it brought to our ward was really a miracle to watch unfold. I am so grateful for this church. We are such a family. No matter where we go in the world, we automatically have 100 plus brothers and sisters one call away to help us with anything we need. 

I got to go on splits with our Bishop's wife this week, it was super fun going and visiting all the less actives in our area. I also went on exchanges with Sister Echon. It felt just like old times when we were companions back in good 'ol Floridablanca! We picked up where we left off. We got three new investigators and extended three baptismal goal dates that day, it was awesome. 

The Dabuet Family is progressing more than ever. We had a break through lesson with them yesterday. It ended up being a two hour lesson, they opened up to us about everything that they are going through and have been through. Charlene and Hazel are the nieces of Jo. Jo however is now their guardian. Their parents split and now both have new families, leaving their 5 children to fend for themselves. Jo took them in and is doing all she can to support them emotionally and financially. They have all been to church twice and we have taught them twice, and they have already told us they want to be baptized and that Charlene (16) and Hazel (15) want to go on missions. We told them they still have a few years until they can do so, but they can work with us and serve as ward missionaries until so. We set them to be baptized July 26. Sister Jo (37)and her daughter Mitzi (13) are extremely excited to be baptized, only problem is that Jo and her husband are not married yet and he is working abroad. We will have to talk to our leaders to see what we can do about that, he won't be coming home until November. She also has a son (19) that is going to school in Manila and will come home for Christmas break. We plan on teaching them when they come home and getting this whole family baptized and sealed. 

Saturday night we had a Ward FHE on Saturday night which was a BLAST. We had lots of investigators in attendance, and they just played played played all night. All of our investigators really enjoyed and were able to make good friends with our members. 

Sunday was thee best day ever. We had seven investigators and three less actives at church. The Dabuet Family, Nancy Sanchez, and Maldwin Nunag all attended. (They are our baptismal goal dates for this month).  I also was assigned to speak on being truly converted, referring to the talk by sister Bonnie L. Oscarson last general conference. I was super nervous, mainly because I had to talk in tagalog for 10 minutes. But with the spirit, it all just flowed, and I actually realized, I really enjoy speaking in front of people. I guess after a year of being a missionary, it kind of is what I do all day every day haha. My main point in my talk was that nobody else can be converted for us, it's something we must do for ourselves. Conversion is not an event that happens in our lives, but rather a process. I shared the story about Brad,  who had a friend that ended up being introduced to the missionaries and later baptized because of his example to her. If we are converted as members, it is our duty to help strengthen those around us. My challenge was for those that aren't fully converted yet, or don't have a strong testimony yet, to do what they need to become so. I know that deep conversion is necessary to battle the adversary in these latter days. We need to not only have a testimony, but to act upon those principles that we know and hold so dear. This gospel is the only way to happily and safely return to our loving Father in Heaven. Let us find the courage and strength to endure to the end, receiving the greatest blessing of all at the end, eternal life.

Sorry this letter is a little scatter brained. I love the Philippines, and I love missionary work even more! Have a great week. Be Safe. And congratulations to Paige Michelle Boice! :)

Love,

Sister Pilkington

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY TO ALL MY AMERICAN FOLKS!


No comments: