Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Urgent Message!

Area:   San Marcelino
Companion:  Sister Rowley
Trainer and Sister Training Leader
                                                                                                 Monday, December 16, 2013

Okay so I don't even know where to begin about this week, SO MUCH has happened. 

I'll start with the randoms of the week. So being that it is Christmas times and the little kids here populate just about as quickly as the stray dogs, there are little kids caroling on EVERY corner when it becomes night. They will go stand in front of houses with little soda bottles and rocks banging them to make music and singing christmas songs in tagalog. Of course it's super cute, these little kids are adorable, plus they're singing, even cuter. Yeah well Sister Rowley and I spoke too soon. Turns out one night they decided to follow us....and follow us...and continue to follow us. As if we don't stand out enough we have these little kids banging ghetto "instruments", here come the sister missionaries! ha, turns out the trick is you have to pay them, go figure! Everyone we walk by just points and laughs at us, worst part about this trick to get them to go away, we aren't allowed to pay them! Turns out we were the entertainment of the night, yeah yeah jokes on us hahah. 

This week we were teaching the word of wisdom to this group of kids that we have recently started teaching. We figured word of wisdom would be a super easy one, I mean the kids range from 3 to 12 years old...yeah turns out these kids have more word of wisdom problems than some of our adult investigators! How does that even happen, we were asking a five year old if he has a problem with any of the word of wisdom things and he said no, then the girl next to him goes "liar! you were drunk yesterday!" I seriously could've cried...bubble popped.

Well you know you live in Asia when the Elders call saying they have an emergency, turns out they ran out of rice and the world stopped there. It was Sunday so they couldn't go buy any so they HAD to come over and take some of ours, haha crack up. Speaking of Elders...now that four Elders are in San Marcelino, some of the people call us Elders now instead of Sisters..not sure where that got mixed up! Awkward haha. You also know you're in Asia when a man just walks out of the cuts with a huge machete in his hand and I don't even think twice about it..not normal, yet that is the normal here. yikes.

So I got a call Monday night, it was the zone leaders asking me to give a spiritual instruction at the zone meeting on Tuesday..yeah for anyone that knows me, you know I need like three weeks notice to plan something like that, I mean come on my farewell talk took me like a month to write! Perfectionist problems. Anyways of course I had to say yes, there's not option there. So I agreed and then the stress began. Nevertheless, I presented it Tuesday morning and this is what I got.

I started out with a quote by Jeffrey R. Holland "Brethren the Spirit of the work is URGENCY. We must imbue our missionaries and members with the Spirit now. NOW. We are not just waiting for natural slow growth. We must move rapidly. We must take things up a notch. If we have to call down miracles or angels then call them down. The drama is unfolding and we must do whatever it takes to ratchet up the work. I feel an incredible burden of urgency..I feel a sense of urgency in my chest, I can hardly breathe. Every dispensation begins with a vision. We must have a vision. We are the church that dreams dreams. We are the church that has visions. We must believe in miracles. We must believe and build on what our forefathers have done. Are we just going to putter along, be average until we wind up to the level when our heart is up in our throat and if we open our eyes we would expect to see angels? If this is God's work and he still lives, then miracles and angels are still there. We must live up to our potential, God will bless us with whatever we need. God wants us to see what he sees and know what he knows. He wants to ratchet up the vision. god is easy to please and hard to satisfy. This is not convenient easy work. We have got to take things to the edge. We have to move into the realm of miraculous. We have to live in such a way that we cannot do it alone anymore--where we will resort to the Lord, where we will cry, "without thy help I will fail, help me fly." Go to the edge where miracles will happen. Move into the realm of miraculous. Have full faith. Believe in Angels." 

I want you to think of a firefighter, the urgency and responsibility of the job that they have. Now I want you to imagine how things in the fire house go as soon as they get that call and the bell stars ringing--I imagine that they all quickly spring into action, slipping on their suits, sliding down that pole, jumping into the truck and they are off within minutes. I find it hard to imagine that you would see them running to the bathroom, or walking back into the house because they forgot their water bottle or are hungry and want a snack. No. Their thoughts are not on themselves, but are on those souls that they are called to save. They understand the urgency of their calling. I can't imagine how they would feel had they wasted even a splitsecond of their time, leading to the result of not getting to the family upstairs in the burning building fast enough. Elders and Sister we must liken this sense of urgency unto ourselves. We too are in the soul saving business. The Lord is Hastening His work rapidly and we volunteered to step up to the plate. Let us remind ourselves each day that every second we are given in the mission field counts. Had we wasted a split second, we might miss the opportunity to save the souls of a family that walked by the gate of our house two seconds earlier. Elders and Sisters we have 18/24 months to serves our missions and the rest of our lives to remember it. May we give it everything that we have. As it says in Hebrews 4:11 "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest." Our calling is urgent, may we labor with all that we have, that someday we will enter into that rest after our missions, knowing we made every second count I humbly pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

This weekend was the baptism of Nanay Sevillaga, and oh how the devil knows how to work on families when they are getting so close to making covenants with the Lord that will change their lives forever. Saturday morning we saw Nanay at the pelenke and she was happy as can be and very excited for her baptism. Later that afternoon Sister Rowley and I made treats for the baptism, filled up the font, set up the chairs, and were printing out her baptism program when we got a text from Nanay's daughter Jenny saying the baptism couldn't continue. Sister Rowley and I immediately dropped to our knees and said the deepest prayer we could, asking for help, and literally for a miracle. We then speed walked over the Sevillaga home, said another prayer outside before we went in to know what we could say or do to help the situation. We go in and quickly Nanay begins to explain that earlier that morning she got into an argument with her sister about their washing machine. One thing led to the next and all of a sudden her kids started mocking her, saying how can you be baptized later today if you are still being the same you? You haven't changed, then Nanay starts thinking about it realizing she doesn't feel worthy to be baptized, maybe her kids were right, how could she do this? I let her sit there and rant and get everything out, she said she wanted to follow her kids into baptism, she didn't want to be first, they needed to change first. I let her finish, and then quietly told her how much I look up to my own mother. How she is my hero, and I hope to someday be half the mother she is to me. I told her that I didn't always show my mom all the love that I should have growing up, I was a teenager too, but I told her that the best thing she could do to help her children change, is for her to change first, to be the example. The conversation continued and eventually she said, okay sister, lets go to the church. Well Tatay Freddie had walked out of the house before we had even gotten there and wasn't planning on coming home anytime soon and had no cell phone to get ahold of him. All the kids were in bad moods now and were not planning on coming to her baptism. While Nanay showered and got her things together we went in and talked to the kids, I told them they really need to put aside all of their differences and support their mother, they are family, and they would regret this. Baptisms should be a happy moment, and Nanay needs them more now than ever before. We then left and went to the church, I had a prayer in my heart the whole day. Eventually one by one the kids showed up in their church clothes, there to support Nanay. The baptism ended up being the most spiritual baptism I have experienced yet. Sister Rowley, the Sevillaga boys and I sang "be still my soul" in Tagalog, two beautiful talks were given, and many tears were shed. When Nanay stepped into that water she gasped, she was overcome with the Spirit. She was baptized, she did it! When she got out of the water and walked up the steps I was standing there and she looked into my eyes, she was absolutely glowing, we embraced eachother for a good minute, I told her how much I loved her, she said "Mahal kita rin ang anak ko" I love you too my child. No words can explain the moment. I am so proud of her, despite all the trials she is going through, the difficulty of the life she leads, and the fact that her own husband wasn't there, she was baptized, she knew it was what was next for her in life. She now just absolutely radiates, she was confirmed in church the following Sunday and now is the newest member in the San Marcelino Branch.

No words can describe the happiness that a missionary feels when seeing someone that they absolutely love step into the waters of baptism. Moments like this is what makes everything worth it. I love my mission!

I know the church is true, I'm grateful to be serving here in the Philippines Olongapo Mission. I love you all, be safe, and Merry Christmas! 

Sister Pilkington


No comments: