Area: San Marcelino
Companion: Sister Rowley
December
2, 2013
Hellloooo hello :)
This week Sister Rowley and I focused on finding finding finding,
due to
the split of our area we had to give half of our investigators to
the
Elders. We were out tracting in the gorgeous bukid this week in the
countryside and were walking down this beautiful path. All of a
sudden we
see a group of boys about 50 yards of head all sitting down, they
all turn
and look at us, then get up and take off sprinting. Sister Rowley
& I turn
and high-five because we figure they were scared of us or knew we
were the
"mormons" so they ran away. We were all proud, and joking
about it. Then we
get to the point where they were all sitting and realize why they
were
really running. There was a 7 foot long COBRA SNAKE right in front
of us,
I've never seen a faster reptile in my entire life, Sister Rowley
& I
followed in the footsteps of these little boys, hugging each other
screaming
and running away, easy to say we were humbled real quick. Scary!
We are however truly humbled actually because we saw the hand of the
Lord
in our work incredibly this week. We hit the all time high
attendance at
church this Sunday with an attendance of 137. My first week here it
was 76,
it has almost DOUBLED. It's incredible truly. My goal is to leave
San
Marcelino better than I found it, and I can definitely say that will
happen. We had TWELVE investigators at church, another blessing! Not
to
mention it was fast and testimony meeting so church was already raging
with
the Spirit. There were so many people that ALL the seats were taken,
the
chapel was full, and people were now sitting out in the hall because
there
was no room inside for them just so that they could listen. We need
a new
building! I cried tears of happiness, I never could've dreamed that
this
would happen. San Marcelino is on it's way to becoming a ward no
doubt.
Highlight of the
week:
Friday night Sister Rowley & I went over to the
Sevillaga's home to teach their boys. When we walked up, there was
something not right, I couldn't figure out what it was but something
was in
the air. Turns out they had a huge incident happen the night before.
We sit
down and Nanay quickly starts explaining to us what was going on.
The Sevillaga boys were extremely distraught and were all crying the
whole night. (These boys do NOT cry,they are tough kids, but they were a MESS.)
The night we came they ALL grabbed chairs, book of mormons, hymn
books and said, sister this is our problem, help us, what do we do? we're
embarrassed, we don't want to go to church now, people are going to judge us,
nanay was extremely embarrassed as any mom would be. Sister Rowley and I were
both shocked and nervous, I had NO idea what to say to comfort them. We started
scrambling for scriptures to help them, through the help of the Spirit we were
able to share some incredible scriptures with them. Then at the end of our
sharing,
a thought popped into my head, this was the FIRST TIME my whole five
months
that I have been here that the ENTIRE Sevillaga family had faced up
to us
and listened to us teach. My heart began to pound out of my chest as
I felt
the spirit so strongly. It's like those moments in fast and
testiomony
meeting where you know you need to go up but you're on the edge of
crying
so you don't want to. Right then, I grabbed my hankie out of my bag,
and
began to bear my testimony. I began to say "I know the Church
of Jesus
Christ of Latter Day Saints is true", I couldn't even get
through that
sentence before I began to cry. The Spirit was soo strong, I managed
to cry
my way through my testimony and bore the strongest one I have in my
life. I
told them how much this gospel will change their lives if they will
let it.
I told of experiences in my past where I wasn't exactly the most obedient,
but that my Heavenly Father was there for me, I told of times when I
felt
completely and utterly alone, but He was still there for me. I told
them
that the only way to resolve this problem, is to come unto him, to
forsake
their sins, and change. At the end I looked up and there was not a
dry eye
in the room. We were all crying, they each began to share their
testimonies, AJ said from this day on he is changing, he said
"sister, I
will go to church for the rest of my life, Mom, I'm changing for you,
this
is it. I'm going to be baptized." The rest of the boys said the
same, they
ALL said they are going to be baptized. I can't explain how HUGE of
a
miracle this is. A week ago they wouldn't even come out of the house
when
we would share, and now they are saying they will be baptized! I
told them
that I know everything happens for a reason, and maybe Heavenly
Father gave
them this challenge to help them come unto him. They all nodded in
agreement. Needless to say, they were all dressed in white at church
this
Sunday, and last night we gave them baptismal goal dates for January
1. The
ENTIRE SEVILLAGA FAMILY IS GOING TO BE BAPTIZED. Jenny then promised
me she would never work another sunday in her life, and Nanay & Tatay
promised they will go to the temple in a year and be sealed. Incredible.
Friends, Family, there is no better time than the present to change. For any of
you that feel unworthy of His help, reach out to Him, He is ALWAYS there. In 2
Nephi 19 it talks about people that feel they least deserve His
help,
people that rejected the Savior and even betrayed Him, yet His arm
was
stretched out still. He is HERE for you always, forsake your sins,
do NOT
procrastinate the day of your repentance. Come unto Him.
It would be fair to say that this has hands down been my favorite
week of
my entire mission thus far & to top it all off, it was
THANKSGIVING! &
Yes, I was able to have a
delicious Thanksgiving dinner because there is a
family in my branch that is American. Winners! :) So, in the spirit
of
Thanksgiving this past week, I would like to express all my thanks
&
gratitude.
Family &
Friends: Big shout out to all of my friends and family that have
been supporting me my whole way through my mission, I really could
not have
done this without all of your love and support for me. You all mean
the
world to me and I truly am soo grateful for all of you. Especially
to my
parents, mom & dad you two are the absolute BEST. I'm pretty
sure every
missionary in my mission is jealous because of all the packages
& mail I
get, you two never fail to make my week when mail day comes! That is
the
best day of any missionaries life when they receive mail from home.
I feel
so blessed to have been surrounded and grown up with such incredible
friends and family members that have good morals and are strong
members in
the church. I am so grateful that my family is all members of the
church
and to have the knowledge that families can be together forever,
there is
no greater blessing truly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Philippines: I LOVE THE
PHILIPPINES. Yes, I am biased, but the Philippines
Olongapo Mission is the BEST mission in the world. I have learned so
much
from all of the cultural differences here that have forced me to
grow up
and accept the differences that this place has to bring. The people
here
are some of the nicest and most humble people I have ever met. Most
of
these people have absolutely nothing, yet they are SO WILLING to
give. This
is something that we as Americans are no where near as good at them
culturally. It is considered offensive if you are eating a snack and
you
don't share it with them, where as in America it's considered nice
if you
are eating something and decide to share. I never realized how
stingy I am
with the little things like sharing my snacks. The culture here has
really
made me realize how much I need to change and just get over myself.
I have
no reason not to share my little crackers or whatever it may be. I
am
grateful for the beautiful nature that this incredible island has to
offer.
Some days are rougher out here on the mission, but there is no
better
feeling than walking out into a peaceful, quiet field with flowers
and big
huge trees drooping everywhere, leaves all over the ground, birds
chirping,
cows working out in the fields, it is so picturesque here, no
pictures I
send home really do it justice. It feels like the sky is so much
closer
here, the sunsets and stars at night are AMAZING, more beautiful
than I
have ever seen. I'm grateful for the poverty that I have had to seen
people
live in, as twisted as it may sound it has truly made me realize how
happy
they are amidst all that they don't have, it has made me more
appreciative
of all that I have been blessed with.
Trials: I am grateful for
the trials that my Heavenly Father has given me.
Sometimes it is easy to wonder why Heavenly Father lets bad things
happen
to good people. I used to wonder the same, but after much scripture
study
and prayer, I have realized that he does this because he loves them.
Heavenly Father gives us trials to make us stronger, it's like the
Kelly
Clarkson song, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger",
it's so true.
Think to the hard times that you have had in your life, you are
ultimately
given two choices, let it get the best of you, or be strong and
overcome
it. I know that my trials have only made me stronger and have
refined me,
making me realize the things that really matter in life. I love this
quote
by Brigham Young, it says "every trial and experience you have
passed
through is necessary for your salvation." Oh how true this is,
I am a
strong believer that everything happens for a reason. May we face
our
trials head on, with the choice to only make ourselves stronger at
the end.
You have a loving father in Heaven that will never forsake you in
your
afflictions, turn to him, become submissive to His will, and He will
carry
you when you can't do it on your own.
The opportunity to
serve:
One of my favorite scriptures from the Book of
Mormon comes from Mosiah 2:21, it says "I say unto you that if
ye should
serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving
you
from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move
and do
according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment
to
another--I say, if ye shall serve Him with all your whole souls, yet
ye
should be unprofitable servants." God has given us a gift
beyond all price,
this life, he allows us to breathe each day, he has blessed me with
an
incredible family, friends, etc. The least that I could do to return
my
appreciation to Him is to serve Him for a period of 18 months. I am
truly
grateful for this opportunity, it is no sacrifice at all, but rather
an
honor and a blessing. I have learned more about myself and how I can
be a
better servant, daughter, friend, and future mother & wife these
past 5
almost 6 months that I have been serving than in my entire life. I
have
never loved a people so much in my entire life, I didn't even know
it was
capable to love strangers so much, missions are INCREDIBLE. If you
haven't
decided whether or not you want to go, pray & if you feel it's
right, GO.
You won't regret it.If you aren't a full time missionary or
preparing to be
one, be a missionary within your own homes and community, we all can
look
for opportunities to serve, for when we are in the service of our
fellow
beings, we are truly in the service of our God.
My testimony: I know that the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
is the only true church on this earth today. I know that Thomas S.
Monson
is a living prophet, a witness of our Savior Jesus Christ, and that
he
holds the priesthood keys to receive revelation to guide and help us
through these perilous latter days. I know that the gospel of Jesus
Christ
was restored here to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I
know
that the Book of Mormon is the most true of any book on the earth,
the
keystone of our religion, and the Word of God. I know that families
can be
together forever and that if we continually strive to apply the
Atonement
of Jesus Christ to our lives each day, we will be worthy to someday
return
to the presence of our loving Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus
Christ. I am
grateful for an incredible family that loves me and supports me in
all that
I do and for the blessings that they have received since I have been
away.
I know that the Lord protects His servants and their families. I
know that
this gospel can bring someone that is bound in the depths of despair
due to
their past transgressions, that they can feel light, happy, and
worthy
again through repentance and submission to the will of the Lord. I
know
this gospel is true, I will preach it to the ends of my life and
then again
in the Spirit World after this life. I love this gospel with my
whole
heart, I encourage you to seek a testimony for yourself, and even if
it is
just faith that you have now, lean on my testimony until you can
gain one
for yourself. I know these things are true and I humbly leave it in
the
name of our Beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love you all, I pray for you all always, Come to our Savior, He is
here
for you, especially during this Christmas Season. May we always
remember of
His love and endless Atonement for us all.
Until next week!
Sister Pilkington
No comments:
Post a Comment