Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Monday, October 27, 2014

Obedience - protecting and revealing

Area: Manadama
Companion: Sister Lim
Sister Training Leader

Monday, October 27, 2014

HELLO ALL. 

"OBEDIENCE, the most protecting word, the most revealing word,--you obey and you CANNOT go wrong, you WILL be provided for." -President Packer.

The past three weeks Sister Lim and I have been struggling with getting our investigators progressing, including getting them to church.We did some re-evaluation and made some changes. I would just like to bear my own personal witness of the reality of the Atonement. This week, we used the Atonement everyday, repenting for anything and everything that we could have done better or did wrong. Sister Lim and I made lots of realizations about things we should be doing better to be more EXACTLY obedient in the work. They are those small things that are simple to let fly, but we decided we can't afford to let those things happen. As a companionship and individually we have been repenting, and I would just like to share some of the many blessings that we saw as a result in the work this week. 

First off I would like to start with church attendance. We had been averaging 1-2 investigators a week at church, and 1-2 progressing investigators (investigators that keep commitments like reading the scriptures, praying, going to church, etc.) This Sunday, we had 12 investigators attend church. We do not claim ANY of the glory in this amazing turn out, for we did nothing different in our teaching. It was all Him. Tears filled my eyes as I saw tricycles with our investigators inside, both excited and nervous to attend church yesterday morning. Obedience brings blessings, I cannot emphasize that enough. For any of you reading this that are currently serving, and wishing for more success, the best advice I can give is to repent, obey, and go to work. That is the recipe to success in life. The same for those at home. Repent, obey, and work hard in school, at work, in sports. He will not let you fail. 

The investigators that came to church include Nora Manalansan and her four daughters. Then there is Luzviminda (Nora's older sister--she lives next door to Bishop). And then sister Edna Malit, Nora's next door neighbor, and then some referrals from our recent converts. I would like to expand a little bit on Luzviminda's story. We were tracting one afternoon and came upon the last house of this community. We decided to knock the door and there was Luz and her daughter Maan. They let us in and were very interested in our message. However the comment that Luz made really stuck out to me. She said one of the main reasons she was so excited that the "Mormon missionaries" were inside her house was because of the happiness she saw in the lives of her next door neighbors. Her next door neighbors happen to be our Bishop, first counselor in the bishopric, and the seminary teacher and her family. She said whenever she would walk by there's always members over singing, playing games, and having such a good time. She was very interested in why they are always happy even though life is so hard. Sister Lim and I just smiled, it's because they have the gospel. After church yesterday, Sister Lim asked Luz how church was, she responded, "It was great. I'll be back next week." Blessings.

I would also like to introduce you to Tom Purgatorio (16). He is what I like to refer to as a golden investigator, truly PREPARED by the Lord. He turns out to be a part member. His dad's whole immediate family are members, sealed in the temple, but the majority of them are unfortunately no longer active. Tom and his two younger siblings live with their cousins Cj (16) and Cesar (13). All of their parents are working in Manila, so they do all the cooking, cleaning, and laundry on their own. Although Tom is only 16 he is very mature for his age. When we met Tom and invited him to learn, he was interested. Within two visits Tom had already memorized the Introduction to the Book of Mormon, attended church by himself, and extended a baptismal goal date to himself. He beat us to the punch and asked when he was going to be baptized. Blessing.

The Lord truly keeps his promises. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say: but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." D&C 82:10. So many other blessings happened in the work this week, and above all we are HAPPY. Happiness is key in missionary work. The Atonement is Real. I am so excited to work as hard as I can these last 7 weeks of my mission. It is all going by too fast. But with the time I have left I will give Him my all.

Have a great week.

Mahal, Sister Pilkington

No comments: