Area: Floridablanca
Companion: Sister Matelau
Sister
Training Leader
Monday,
May 19, 2014
Hello
family and friends!
Another
week has come and gone and without realizing I hit my 11 month mark..time just
flies, I still feel like I'm the new sister out here..now I'm one of the old
ones. Well this week has by far been the HOTTEST week of my entire mission. As
in, SO HOT. Filipino's win, they used to always say "it's soo hot here
sister" and I was like "yeah it's hot where I live too". Nope,
they win, it's hotter here.
We had
quite the week here in Floridablanca, we achieved all of our goals which was a
nice little pat on the back for our last week together here (assuming that I
transfer this week). We have been going running every morning waking up at 4:50
am to try to beat the heat and make it back to the house in time to follow our
morning schedule. It has given me a lot of energy in the work and I am a lot
happier when I exercise, happy times all around. We have also made lots of
friends on our running trails that we have said we are going to come visit and
share with their families sometime. Like they say, always look for
opportunities to teach! haha. We had our last zone conference with the
Querido's this week, sad day. It was great, we learned lots, and most of all I
just love watching President tease the missionaries and make everyone laugh.
He's got such a good sense of humor, the mission will miss him lots when he
leaves.
Tatay
Jandoc was successfully baptized on Saturday. Elder White baptized him in about
3 feet of water. Tatay was so focused on bending his knees enough to completely
submerge himself in the water that he forgot to plug his nose. He had the eyes
and face expression of a drowning child when he came up, he was not impressed
that water had gone up his nose and in his ears haha. However, he shook it off
and smiled, cute little man, he's so happy. He was then confirmed yesterday in
church. Karen and Sean David also attended with their two little kids. They had
spent the weekend at the beach and had only gotten 3 hours of sleep Saturday
night, they woke up at 7 to drive home, shower, and make it to church. They are
TROOPERS! They will be getting baptized this June, we are so excited for them
as they have been taught by missionaries on and off for two years now. It is
finally their time.
We
experienced straight up REJECTION this week. To make a long story short we were
verbally harassed in the middle of a lesson, leaving sister Matelau in tears
and me sitting their still trying to figure out what just happened. The lesson
was going so well and then out of no where the poor old man's family went into
attack mode. When we left that lesson Sister Matelau and I were both feeling a
little bit beat and discouraged, a little humiliated as well. But then I
remembered a video that I would always watch with Heather when we were back in
school in Hawaii, Missionary Work and the Atonement. I remember the words of
Jeffrey R. Holland and repeated them to Sister Matelau, "why would we ever
think that missionary work should be easy, when it was never EVER easy for
him?.... We have every reason to stand tall. We are standing shoulder to
shoulder with the best life this world has ever known." I then came across
these verses in my personal study this morning from 2 Nephi 7 :
6 "I
gave my back to the smiter, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. I
hid not my face from shame and spitting.
7 For the
Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have
I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
8 And the
Lord is near, and he justifieth me."
It was a
learning experience for the both of us. We have been sheltered here in the
Philippines and have been blessed with the hospitality and kindness of these
people. However there are some out there that will not accept our message, and
other that will harass us because of it. But as we follow the example of
Christ, letting them smite our one cheek just to turn and give them the other,
remembering our purpose and why we are here, he will never forsake us. We are
his servants, called to serve in this foreign land. I felt Him near that
evening. Sister Matelau and I embraced each other as we walked down the
pavement, knowing that we did our best.
Missionary
work is great, it's hard, but so worth it all. I am grateful for my opportunity
to serve, especially here on this beautiful Island in the Philippines. Have a
great week everyone.
Sister
Pilkington
No comments:
Post a Comment