Area: Floridablanca
Companion: Sister Matelau
Sister Training Leader
Monday,
April 14, 2014
Hi fam & friends.
Another week bites the
dust. We had transfers this week and I got my first poly & I LOVE HER! Her
name is sister Matelau. Yeah I'll confess the first three days I would peek my
eyes open during prayers to say her name correctly, I couldn't remember her
name for the life of me haha! She is from Tonga, she has been born and raised
there, but her mom is living in LA in Cali. She is super super nice, loves to
clean, and is a super good cook. She has been on her mission only 6 weeks
longer than me so we are pretty much at the same part in our mission. I look
forward to getting to know her better and am sure I will learn lots from her.
The work still continues
to go on here in Floridablanca. All three of our baptismal goal dates are just
GOLDEN. M will be baptized April 26. She is the 13 year old that has
experienced more hardship in her life than any child her age should ever have
to. I wrote about her two weeks ago. She is soo excited to be baptized and is
also going to be attending the youth temple trip three days after her baptism.
Karen and Sean David are our other two baptismal goal dates. Karen is 23 and
Sean is 24, they are married and have two kids. Chanel is 4 and Luis is 3.
Karen named them Chanel and Luis because those are her two favorite brands, she
said she can't afford to buy them so decided to name her kids them instead
haha. Sean and Karen have been taught by at least 12 companionships of
missionaries and know all the doctrine, including about the temple. They just
said there has been something missing for them. They finally have figured it
out, we have had some very spiritual lessons with them including lots of tears
and smiles and everything in between. Karen used to be addicted, and when I say
addicted I mean ADDICTED to cofffee, and over the past month we have been
working with her on getting rid of it. Last week we were so busy we only saw
her once, when we went and saw her on Friday night she said she hadn't touched
a cup of coffee since our last visit. That is a miracle for two reasons, For
one she is ADDICTED, and for two, we hadn't even seen her all week to tell her
to stop, she did it on her own. Sean also would drink coffee and alcohol
occasionally but he as well has completely stopped. They have been taught for
over 2 years by missionaries and yesterday came to church for the first time. A
perfect day to come as we watched general conference and heard the words of our
prophet. They will be baptized May 3 as long as they keep following the word of
wisdom and come to church.
General Conference was
BEAUTIFUL and there's a few things I would like to share that I have
learned.
-3 Nephi 13:19-21--We must
come to understand that the material things are not what brings us happiness,
but rather our family, our testimonies, and this gospel.
-Our time here on earth is
so brief, Gary E. Stevenson compared it to our four minute race here on earth.
Everything we do in this life is CRITICAL, it all counts towards our eternal
salvation. This life isn't a playground, it's a testing ground. We must
"run the race that [we] may obtain the prize."
-Love is the very essence
of the gospel. We cannot say that we love God if we don't love other. -Thomas
S. Monson. Too often we take for granted our loved ones in this life, take the
time to say I love you. Express your love and appreciation to your loved ones
and friends.
-Adopt the attitude of
gratitude. What if we woke up this morning with only the things we said we were
grateful for in our prayers the night before? No matter how good or bad your
life is, there is always MUCH to be grateful for. Is your cup half empty or
half full? Choose to be positive, happy, and most of all grateful.
-We MUST defend our faith.
We live in perilous times. Elder Holland. Do not let the popular things of the
world sway you from your moral. We know the things we must do, so do them, and
stand up for what you know to be right. May we all defend our faith in a kind
and considerate way.
3 Nephi 5:13 "Behold,
[we are disciples] of Jesus Christ, [daughters and sons] of God, [we] have been
called of him to declare his word among his people, that they may have
everlasting life." Every member a missionary.
I love my mission. I love
the Philippines. I love my testimony. I love my Savior. I love my family. I
love my friends. I love my life.
The church is true.
Sister Pilkington.
No comments:
Post a Comment