Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Foreignoy?

Area:  Floridablanca
Companion:  Sister Echon
Sister Training Leader
                                                                                                Monday, March 3, 2014

Hello friends & family,

 Once again! I don't get how these weeks just whip by so fast. But here I am again! So this week has been another great one. Transfers have come and gone and don't worry, I am still here in Floridablanca! & Sister Echon is still my companion. Sorry I'm a little shorter on time so just want to share a few experiences with you.

There apparently is some show here called Foreignoy where a bunch of foreigners compete to become the top "Foreignoy" they sing, dance, read tagalog, speak tagalog and all these other things. Well, this past week I have been told by literally ever single investigator, member, recent convert, less active, and random people on the street that they want me to sign up because I could win! I've found my future guys, I'm going to be the next foreignoy. hahah. I have also had some investigators get mad at me this week because they think I'm lying when I say that my mom is not Filipino. They are convinced that I am pinoy, and I get all sorts of confusing looks when I tell them my mother is actually from Canada. By the way, the rumor is in fact TRUE! Rats here really are the size of small dogs! It's not okay at all, something that is actually bigger here in the Philippines than in the U.S.!

The UY Family is what we call lifetime investigators, the mother and their oldest son were baptized a little over a year ago, and ever since have been pretty inactive. The father and their youngest son have not yet been baptized. They have a desire to be baptized, they have testimonies, and they want  to be a whole family at the church, their only problem is they NEVER come to church. This family has not been to church my whole time I have been serving here, or the sisters before me either. We visit them weekly trying to resolve concerns, share scriptures that might somehow tug their heart and make them understand that they HAVE to come to church if they ever want to progress. However, this week, things changed. We felt prompted to share with them about obedience, being that going to church is a commandment from God. We shared scriptures, personal experiences, and asked lots of inspired questions, to really dig and figure out what their real concern is. Well that concern came out onto the table that day. Their concern is they don't have money. They have a little 7 month old girl that obviously needs lots of nourishment to grow. Milk is extremely expensive and they spend all the money that they do have on her. Sister gives manicures to her neighbors and that is their only source of income, brother has been without a job for over a year now. Sister started crying telling us that if she doesn't work, they don't have food. Instead they eat this little cereal mush stuff that no one should ever have to eat, it's like the equivalent to baby food. We told them that we know if they have a desire, that God will prepare a way. We bore strong testimonies and closed with a beautiful prayer. As sister and I left their home, we both turned to each other and said, "let's go buy them some groceries". I have never felt a stronger prompting. We ran to the grocery story all excited, we bought them breads, 5 kilos of rice, milk for baby, pampers for baby, meats, fruits, and all sorts of healthy filling foods. As we returned to their house, the moment became indescribable. Their faces were absolutely precious. To us it was something so simple, it was a couple bags filled with food, nothing too exciting. But to them it meant everything. Sister started bawling and kept saying thank you over and over and over again. Of course Sister Echon and I could not stop our tears from falling, we hugged her, and had a really sweet moment with that family. The little boys were so excited they started eating right there because they were so hungry. Sister Uy turns to us and goes sister, we are coming to church tomorrow. And they sure did, Sunday morning their whole family showed up, it was a beautiful day :)

We have a new investigator named Narcisso, he is in his late 60's. Narcisso lives with his adorable little wife who has been suffering from Alzheimer's for the past 6 years now. She does not recognize him or any of her family. She will cry a lot because she is so confused. However, the first time that we talked to brother Narcisso on the road, he immediately looked at us and said, yes, this message will help my life, I know it, please come back and share. We did just that, and the lesson was beautiful. He was standing behind his sweet wife holding her hand while she slept and we taught to him. His eyes were watering the whole time and he agreed with every word that we said. He is so excited for us to come back and teach him about the Plan of Salvation. Their only problem is going to be coming to church because he cannot leave Nanay at home, so we are going to see what we can do to help get her to church if possible. I felt such a strong spirit of love as we were there and see so much potential for this sweet couple. 

As far as the family I told you about last week whose mother has epilepsy, they are still doing very well and now have baptismal goal dates, we are so excited for them! Again their only problem is that they are super poor and cannot get to church, so we are going to work with the members to see what we cannot do to help them! 

Love you all, Have a good week, & Be safe!!

Sister Pilkington
xo


No comments: