Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Monday, March 10, 2014

Decisions Determine Destiny

Area:  Floridablanca
Companion:  Sister Echon
Sister Training Leader
                                                                                    Monday, March 10, 2014

Hello My Dears!

You always know you’re heading for a good week when you get locked into your own room on the second story of your house for 45 minutes…during a brown out (no electricity…aka SO HOT!) Yea, it’s a true story. Somehow between me coming into our room and Sister Echon leaving the door handle got jammed into the wall. Resulting in throwing of knives up the side of our two story house, trying to ply myself out of the door, hauling Sister Echon up and over the terrace into our room and two short tiny little Filipina’s attempting to break my door down. Turns out all we needed was a handy male (our neighbor) to take off the doorknob and I was FREE! Ha, nightmare. But don’t worry, we were still on time for zone meeting!
Well with the bad always comes the good right? We experienced some small but significant miracles this week. There is the less active that we have been looking for since I got here to Floridablanca, so I guess that makes it two months now, and we still had yet to find her. The area that she lives in is soo huge and unlike America there's no pretty little street signs and house numbers so we literally just walk around asking people hoping someone knows them. Well this week we were in that neighborhood teaching some new investigators that we have found and after teaching the lesson we were going to do some more finding. We weren't exactly sure where to start so we just turned down this street. (Keep in mind its about 7:30 at night so it's dark out now.) As we were walking this little boy runs up to us and asks if we were Mormons, I said yes then jokingly asked why are you too? Then he goes no! But my sister and dad are! I asked if they were home and he said yes so I said sige tarana (go ahead)! and he took us to his house. Turns out, his sister and dad are the exact family that we have been looking for the past two months! Sister Echon and I considered it a small miracle :) 
My second week here in Florida I went on exchanges with a sister in GuaGua, and while there, an investigator that we were teaching gave me the name of his daughter who lives in Sister Echon and I's area and told us to go find her and teach her. Well months have gone by and we still have yet to contact this lady. Wednesday morning S. Echon asked me what the name of that referral was that I got in GuaGua and I could not remember it for the life of me. The next morning we were riding bikes and we got punted, the person we planned to visit wasn't home. All of a sudden I told S. Echon that we needed to go contact that referral but neither of us could remember her name. All of a sudden letter by letter the name slowly appeared before my eyes as if it was written on a sign. The first person we asked on the street just so happened to be her best friend and she directed us right to her home. We were able to teach a beautiful lesson to her and her mother-in-law and they have invited us to come back again soon! Another beautiful little miracle. 
S. Echon and I also had the privilege to work with Elder and Sister White this week, it was the first time I have worked with a senior couple on my mission and it was a BLAST! We went and visited some less active families, I was acting as the translator, for once I actually felt smart! Ha. But man working with them made me want to serve another mission with my honey someday! They're so cute. 
One of our less actives, Tatay Mitra (ninja prayer man) told me and S. Echon this week that when we teach we have this convincing power, it's almost like it's the Spirit he said! Success, we are doing something right here! Haha
Our Assistant's to the President called us this week saying that as a mission if we can bring 200 souls back to the Lord through baptisms and less active returns that we will have a mission wide party!!! That means I will see my anak si (daughter) Sister Rowley and all my batch!!! S. Echon and I were soo motivated, being that we are competitive and love anything with a challenge. This week we had 21 new investigators, 6 investigators attended church and 4 less actives. We are on track for an awesome month here in Floridablanca! 
As I was reviewing a conference talk "Beware of Bondage", I started thinking of how every little thing we do in life will ultimately affect us forever. I love when President Monson said, "Decisions determine destiny." Those 3 words ring so true to me. Even more so now on my mission as I am experiencing a completely different eyeglass of life. I see so many families here where the parents never even graduated elementary school--back when they were little it was because they wanted to play with friends or go to the computer shop. But you bet 30 years later now that they have a family and can barely put three meals on the table they're wondering why they didn't see the bigger picture of life clearer back then, or even more so, why someone didn't warn them. This life is hard, we all know that. But if we will look at things with an eternal perspective, and think about what things truly matter most, then we will lead a life worth living. I challenge you to live your lives consistent to the teachings of the gospel, you will be much happier. This gospel is the way, it is the only way as Jesus Christ states in 2 Nephi 31:21. Have the eternal perspective, not the here and now instant gratification.
I want to give my condolences to the Pingry Family for the loss of their father and husband. What a beautiful blessing that we know that families can be together forever. I love this scripture from 2 Nephi 2 "Thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." Our trials are what make us stronger in life, the veil is so thin, and he is now your guardian angel. Continue in your faith, be closer to the Lord than ever before, He will lift you and carry you through this rough time in your life. God Bless. 

Love you all, have a great week! 
Sister Pilkington. xo


No comments: