Area: San Marcelino
Companion: Sister Rowley
Monday,
November 4, 2013
Helllooo
my beautiful friends & family :)
What a
wonderful week! I can't even begin to start on how much my Heavenly Father is
aware of his missionaries, especially those that he calls to train. We have
seen tons of blessings in our work this week. Each night I pray to see the
blessings & miracles that I am blessed with each day & wow this week
has just been outstanding.
America in the Philippines: So pretty much the best week ever.
I got a few tender mercies, a little taste of home. Sister Rowley pulled out a
bag of chocolate covered acai berries the other day and I thought I was going
to die. Best day of my whole life eating some of those bad boys. We were at an
investigators house the other day & after teaching her she brings us out
murrienda (treats), she gave us NUTELLA SANDWICHES. Okay what?! My jaw dropped
after my first bite, I could've cried of happiness. Brother & Sister Wright
(white/filipino couple from America) brought us homemade banana bread the other
day-made me miss baking with you momma. Oh delicious tender mercies.
Only in the Philippines: This week I was teaching Sister
Rowley how to I2L-invite to learn, we were talking with this adorable 86 year
old Nanay, I gave her an articles of faith card with a picture of Jesus on it,
she immediately tried giving me money. I was like oh no Nanay it's free! She
kept forcing me to take her money, I kept trying to explain that we just wanted
to give this to her and she kept persisting. Finally she understood that the
articles of faith card is free. Then she looks at me and goes, "oh my dear
anak, taga saan ka?" which means oh my child where are you from? Then I
tell her America. Then of course she asks where, I say California, she runs up
to me and smacks me in the butt! Sister Rowley and I just bust up laughing, I
just got smacked in the butt by an 86 year old, best part about it, I've never
seen an 86 year old run so fast before. And even better, right after she did it
she walked away, we don't even know why she did it! Ha. Oh another fun fact,
here in the Philippines when it rains it automatically means karaoke time.
Worst part about it, all the karaoke machines are at the bars, yeah you could
say it's pretty painful to the ears, so funny too though ha. Filipino's are
also extremely OCD about ironing..they iron EVERYTHING. All the way down to
their underwear..yeah it's kind of interesting..Only in the P.I.
Miracles Do Happen: When I was called to be a trainer
last week I was a little bit overwhelmed with responsibility for both my anak,
as well as all of the precious souls here in San Marcelino. Trying to be a good
example for Sister Rowley, run the area, keep up all the paperwork in our area
book, plan lessons & who to go to when, oh & maybe the most important
part: both understand AND speak the beautiful language of Tagalog. I cannot
tell you how many times I have just looked up and thanked my Heavenly Father
for helping this week go smoothly, for the constant promptings of the Spirit,
& for being able to recognize these promptings. This week was the first
week in my entire mission that we achieved ALL of our goals, EVERY SINGLE ONE.
It feels so good, & of course we know it wasn't us, it was all Him.
Literal Harvest: Right now in the Philippines it is
harvesting season for all of the rice mills & workers. It's actually really
cool, they cut down all off the rice plants, and all of the rice is wet from
the fields they grow in, so they get all the rice grain off the plants, then
lay them out in the roads to dry all day, (the rice still has it's husk on)
then after it's dry they bag them all up and take them over to the rice mill
where they are then un-husked? (I have no idea how to say that) ha, and then
out comes the beautiful rice that we eat EVERY meal here. (yes, rice belly's
are a real thing unfortunately). But anyways, there is a literal harvest taking
place here in the Philippines, but also a literal harvest in missionary work as
well. In the past two weeks we have found 23 new investigators. Of course not
all of them are ready to jump into the waters of baptism tomorrow, but they
have all come across our path one way or another for a reason, whether it is to
plant a seed and they act on it later, or if they are prepared for our message
right now. I am so grateful for all the new opportunities we have to
teach.
Less Active Members: Unfortunately in the past three
months I have been here in San Marcelino we can NEVER get less actives to let
us in. They are all very hard headed or are "busy". Pero, this week
alone we have found soo many new less actives. We have what is called the CMIS
which is the membership records of all of the less actives in our area, Sister
Rowley and I pray each night about who to visit, and then the next day we look
at the list and see who we feel impressed to go visit. Every time has worked
like a charm. One particular less active is Cyril Sabungan. We have visited him
twice now. Each time we have taught he has just had this light about him that
is absolutely contagious. He just loves to listen, but his only problem is he
works on Sundays. We were teaching him Saturday night and I shared a scripture
with him about faith, he looks at me and goes, "Sister, I know why you're
here, you want me to come back to church, I really want to, but I can't, I work
as a security guard on Sundays." All of a sudden I got this impression,
"BE BOLD SISTER, BE BOLD". I opened my mouth before I could even
think about what I was saying and asked if he could talk to his boss and try to
switch schedules with someone so he could attend church. Who did I think I was
trying to tell this guy to go talk to his boss and switch his days. But what
came next surprised me, he said, I will do that sister! Then I asked if he has
a desire to come to church, and he said yes. So I said, "Alam ko kung
mayroon kayo ang nais brother, mayroon ng Diyos ang paraan din". Meaning,
I know that I you have a desire, God has a way. He then goes and grabs his work
schedule, there were NO SUNDAYS SCHEDULED for the rest of the month. He looks
at me and goes, "sister, my schedule is always every Sunday, how did this
happen..." I just smiled and said "Alam ng Diyos", meaning
"God knows." What a miracle. He plans on coming to church this coming
Sunday, I am so excited! What an awesome experience.
Marjane: Marjane Desanjuan is what you call
a GOLDEN investigator. She comes to our lessons with questions from her
reading, questions from her own thoughts that she wants to know the answers
about, and she takes NOTES when we teach. WHO DOES THAT?! She's incredible. She
has been reading from her English Book of Mormon but really wants a Tagalog
one. So this week we finally got in our shipment of Tagalog Book of Mormons.
When we handed it to her, her face lit up as if I was handing her a million
dollars. She was squiggling in her chair, covering her face, and when she
looked back at us tears were in her eyes. I have never seen someone so excited
and grateful. We should all be just as excited about the gospel as she is, it
made me re-evaluate myself! She is incredible, she is getting baptized November
16 and I seriously cannot wait. I just know it is going to be the BEST day of
her life. :)
Well I
think that one is long enough for the week. I love you all dearly & miss
you more than ever! Hope everyone had a fun safe Halloween, there's no
Halloween trick or treaters here, so sad. But I am living vicariously through
all the cute pictures that have been sent to me! Please continue to send me
emails & pictures & letters, I love hearing from all of you!
Have a
great week & Mahal Kita!!!
Sister
Pilkington :)
1 comment:
Sister Pilkington:
I love reading your weekly posts and your sharing your experiences with us all back here. I am glad your parents share it with us. :)
Your experiences so far are an amazing gift to you so early. You are obviously teaching with the spirit of The Lord and you are seeing the fruit of that.
Know that you are in many prayers. We wish you success in finding those souls that Heavenly Father would have you touch.
Hugs and affection to you and your companion.
Sister Kimball
Post a Comment