Area:
San Marcelino
Companion: Sister Rowley
November
25, 2013
LONNNNG WEEK THIS WEEK. & sorry this
letter is going to be SHORT!
Elders:
WE NOW HAVE 4 ELDERS IN SAN MARCELINO. This could most likely be the best thing
of my entire life. San Marcelino has such a lack of Priesthood, we NEEDED
Elders. I found out from Sister & Elder Gorringe that there were 15 Elders
coming from Tacloban to our mission, the next second I was on the phone with
President telling him they needed to come here. He said that they weren't in
the plans to come here to San Marcelino, but if I found them a house we could
get them. You can probably guess what happened next. By the end of that night I
had them a fine lookin house. Boo yeah baby, we got us some Elders, and they are
AMAZING! They are going to help our areas soo much :)
Tacloban
missionaries: One of the new Elders, Elder Panginiban
told us a small but miraculous story that he experienced while in Tacloban. His
area was farther from the eye than a lot of the other areas, but his area was
still affected. He said that they got the text that they shouldn't go out
because of the storm. So he and his companion, Elder Mata (also assigned here
in San Mar) knelt down and said a prayer, and then they went to sleep and slept
through the entire storm. The next day they woke up and saw all of these roofs
blown off of houses, and lots of debris all over the place. Something extremely
interesting that occurred however was this: Their apartment is completely
surrounded by trees, he said when they walked outside that day, every. single.
tree. had fallen OUTWARDS, instead of inwards. Every single tree, outwards,
that doesn't even make sense how the wind could do that. Had the trees fallen
inwards, they would've been seriously hurt or even killed. That is not a
coincidence. The Lord really does protect his missionaries. The Spirit in the
room after he bore his testimony of the importance of being obedient so that
the Lord can protect you was unreal. Everyone had chills. I know my Heavenly
Father is aware of me specifically, and each and every single one of you. May
we all be exactly obedient to the commandments that the Lord has given us so
that we too may recieve this small, but relevant miracles.
Courage:
The proudest moment of my week was that I ate BALUT! (A balut is a developing duck embryo that is
boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the
Philippines.) At night time the vendors that sell balut walk
or bike around the neighborhoods selling balut, they yell "baluuuuut"
and people will run out at by it, don't ask me why because it is not appetizing
whatsoever. However, people keep asking me if I have tried it yet, and I
haven't! & they always tell me I'm not a Filipina until I try it. So one
day Sister Rowley and I made a deal that the next time we heard someone yell
baluuut, we would try it. Well it just so happens we had a delicious dinner
appointment with the Wright family on Thursday with the Elders. We were all
walking back to the main highway to catch the bus when we heard
"baluuuut". Sister Rowley & I turned to eachother, she looked
like she wanted to cry & I looked like a little child on Christmas morning.
I immediately flag the man down and they gave us seven eggs of nice warm juicy
balut. What better opportunity to try it for my first time than with an
audience of brand new elders. All I can say is that it was classic, all the
Elders had their cameras out videoing & taking pictures of us. Needless to
say, I ate the thing like a champ, no not really I suffered my way through it,
& Sister Rowley called it quits! She drank the juice and tapped out.
Nonetheless, I have officially become a true Filipina. That's right baby.
Miracles
Ulit: Sundays are hands down the most
stressful day of the week. We missionaries stand outside the church waiting for
our investigators to come to church. It is the most stressful thing of my
entire life, Sundays show how successful your week really was. Being that the
Elders were new to the area this week we were really busy splitting our areas,
showing them around the areas, introducing them to all of our investigators and
less actives, etc. So our work was pretty slow this week. However, we hit an
all time high for the most investigators we have ever had at church. EIGHT.
Best part about it, SEVEN of them were all from one family, the Sevillaga
family. They are rockstars & I love them. Wilma is still being strong, she
is incredible, she has become a rock for the Sevillaga family. Every morning
before church she goes and herds them up and brings them to church with her.
They will all be baptized by the end of December. I could just cry of
happiness. The amount of change that I have seen in them is INCREDIBLE. Marjane
is doing awesome as well. She gave the elders 5 referrals and worked as a
branch missionary to go visit all of them, one referral being her 21 year old
brother who is going to be baptized December 28. More to follow next week :)
This week has been incredibly exciting
& stressful all at the same time. But nonetheless, I LOVE MY MISSION &
THE PEOPLE HERE. Have an amazing week all of you & please, STAY SAFE! The
church is true.
Sister Pilkington
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment