Area:
San Marcelino
Companion: Sister Hynes
Monday,
October 21, 2013
My Dearest Friends & Family,
Talk about the longest & best week
of my entire life. So much has happened, it's hard to know where to begin! I
guess I will start with a happy four months! I cannot believe I've already been
on my mission that long, I swear I just got here! Ahh. Also HAPPY HAPPY
BIRTHDAY TO PAIGEYYY WAGEY, EMILY COLE, & KA$HAA! Love you all & hope
you have the happiest of days!
Investigators:
Sister Hynes and I have been struggling with our investigators a bit lately,
they aren't progressing as much as we would like them to, or they are
progressing but can't go to church--so they can't get baptized. The same
problems keep re-occurring. SO we have been really praying the past month for
new investigators that are prepared for our message. We make a weekly goal of
finding 10 new investigators each week, but have only been getting 4 or 5 at
most each week. Well turns out this week our prayers were more than answered.
This week we scored 17 NEW INVESTIGATORS! We have so many new investigators we
don't even know what to do with ourselves, it's AMAZING! It reminds me of the
scripture in the Bible in Malachi 3:10 "I [will open] you the windows of
Heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to
receive it." Story of my life right now, I couldn't be more grateful, the
Lord truly is hastening His work. As for our older investigators, not sure if
you remember Marvin (the hoodlum that I felt inspired to I2L, later became a
really progressing investigator). Well turns out he got a job 3 hours away and
moved so he doesn't know when or if he will come back, sad. The Sevillaga
family is doing well. So far 3 of the 10 of them are members. Tatay Freddie
(the dad), Michael (21), and John-Mark (17). Michael was baptized three weeks
ago and works with us sometimes as a branch missionary which is awesome. His
brother John-Mark however is going through a tough time right now. He hasn't
been to church in two weeks and is never around for us to teach him so it has
been rough, but we WON'T lose hope :). We set a family baptismal goal date for
the rest of them for November 23, so hopefully we can get them all ready and
taught by then!
Exchanges:
Yes! Best. Day. Ever. Sister Wagner (my American batchmate, we have lived
together since the MTC!) were companions for a full 24 hours and it was
AWESOME. We got to explore her area together. It was a BLAST. I’m pretty sure
everyone in our branch, including our trainers were super worried for two white
girls that barely know Tagalog to go out and teach alone. But let me tell ya,
that is the most Tagalog I have spoken in one day in my entire life. The gift
of tongues yet again, is so REAL. We had Lagoy (a branch missionary) work with
us, and he is always super critical of our work so I didn't really want him to
come. But at the end of the day he took us each by the arm and said in Tagalog,
"If you get called to train this next transfer, you will be ready. That is
the most pure Tagalog I have ever heard you both speak. I thought you two would
need my help. I didn't have to say a word. You two are outstanding."
Sister Wagner and I were just gleaming, we high-fived siempre, but then I said
a little prayer in my heart, because I knew it wasn't me, it was my Heavenly
Father. The families we taught are the absolute CUTEST. Especially the little
Canicula kids. I LOVE FILIPINOS! I have the best mission EVER!
Randoms:
Turns out we have frogs and worms living in our shower with us, that was an
awesome discovery. Good thing I don't have shower shoes! (Don't worry mom, I’ll
buy some today!) Our bathroom has been flooding the past three months, and our
sink decided to flood our kitchen, and our only lights in our kitchen have been
burnt out for a month. It's correct to assume our house is falling apart a
little bit. Thank goodness for the senior couple-the Gorringes. Elder Gorringe
is the most HANDY MAN ever! He has fixed our house at least 10 times, he also
bought us a smoothie maker, a microwave, and a NEW iron (so I don't burn any more
holes in my clothes!) and on top of it all, he brings MAIL! I’m so grateful for
how handy he is, makes me realize how handy I am NOT. I saw the BIGGEST spider
I have ever seen in my life at one of our new investigators homes, I couldn't
even focus on the lesson because I was so scared. What makes it even worse, it
was pregnant! Ew. I also got told I have really nice shaped feet...the people
are SUPER observant about everything here haha, only in the P.I...
CONFERENCE:
Hands down the best conference of my whole entire life. Yes, I finally was able
to watch ALL the sessions. I've realized I'm such a missionary nerd, conference
was more exciting for me than Christmas is! There was so much that I loved
about conference that I will probably just share a little message each week
from here on out, there's too much to put in one letter :) So for this week I
would like to quote our dear prophet Thomas S. Monson when he said,
"Although our struggles are different for each, they are common for
life." This life is HARD, really really hard. But we have been blessed
with amazing friends & family that are here to help us bear our burdens,
and even more so, a loving Heavenly Father and Savior that will be there to
lift and guide us when we just simply cannot do it on our own. I want to quote
one of my favorite poems titled "Footprints"; (substitute your name
where it says daughter). it says "My daughter. My precious child. I love
you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering; when
you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you." He is
ever so near, He loves you, & wants to help you. We are entitled to His
love, help, and guidance. Life is hard, but through Him, all things are
possible to overcome.
Anyways, time is just FLYING by, I can't
believe it's already almost Halloween! It's so hot here it feels like it's
still summer. We have transfers on Wednesday. We find out who transfers where
Tuesday night, as soon as we get the text we go home and pack! My worst
nightmare..because of course I've gone shopping & have NO ROOM in my
suitcase..yiikes. Regardless of if I stay or leave I will for sure get a new
companion, I'm going to miss Sister Hynes, she is my Nanay! She's the
best!
Language is powerless to express the
deep feelings and love of my heart for all of you. May God bless you and your
families in all that you do. Have a wonderful week my dearests.
Mahal Kita!
Sister Pilkington
<3 :)
No comments:
Post a Comment