Area:
San Marcelino
Companion:
Sister Hynes
Hello Friends and Family!
Another great week here in San Marcelino! The
highlight of the week was definitely John-Mark's baptism this Saturday! It was
a nightmare at the beginning, the scheduled time for his baptism was at 3, it
was 4 and still neither John-Mark or any of his family was there and it was
POURING rain outside. Turns out that the motor on John-Mark's brother Michael's
motorcycle had broken so they didn't have a ride to the church and they live
out in the bukid. Their dad, Freddie, was out on his trike selling vegetables
and he doesn't have a cellphone so nobody could get ahold of them. Then the
rest of the family was no where to be found. Sister Hynes and I look at
eachother with tears and our eyes trying not to lose hope, but wondering if
this baptism was even going to happen. We both on our own went and said
individual prayers pleading with our Father in Heaven for a miracle. No longer
than ten minutes later John-Mark comes stumbling through the doors of the
church. We get him dressed, and asked one of our branch missionaries if he
would be willing to baptize him if his dad Freddie didn't show up. Then, by
another miracle, Freddie shows up, sopping wet from the rain, so we got him all
suited up and reviewed how the process of the baptism would go. Then another
ten minutes goes by and his family starts walking through the doors one by one.
Our prayers had been answered, it was amazing. The program began and it was
very beautiful, us four sisters sang a musical number, you could barely hear us
because the pounding of the rain outside was draining us out, but the Spirit
was definitely there nonetheless. When the double doors opened and I saw
Freddie take John Mark by the hand and lead him in to the water tears immediately
filled my eyes. Freddie is a recent convert, he was baptized June 29 and just
received the priesthood two weeks ago. He baptized John Mark and the look on
their faces was absolutely priceless. Sister Hynes and I look at each other and
just hug. This is why I'm a missionary, for moments like this. I can't even
explain the feeling of having him enter the waters of baptism, another soul
saved. The rest of the program was beautiful and he bore an amazing testimony.
We had a little party after which is always fun with the Sevillaga Family.
A problem here in the Philippines with recent
converts is that they think once they're baptized that's it, and that they
don't have to come to church anymore, that they are saved. But as members, we
know that's not how it goes. Sister Wagner and Sister Almaras' recent converts
are becoming less active and haven't been coming to church. But John Mark is
golden. He was confirmed a member of the church yesterday and then after asked
to be a branch missionary. It's always a struggle getting our branch
missionaries to sign up for days to work with us so that we have members
present in our lessons. Nobody was signing up so John Mark offered to work
THREE DAYS with us! Those are 8 hour shifts, and he was happy and willing. I see
such a strong desire in him, I know his testimony is going to grow so much
while working with us and hope he gains a desire to serve a full time mission
for himself.
Missionary work is awesome, I feel so blessed
to be serving here. I absolutely love it here, and can't imagine being anywhere
else.
Interesting facts of the week, I ate pig ear,
pig tongue, chicken intestine, pig nose, skin, and am going to eat blood later
today. It's not all as gross as it sounds! I've decided to be adventurous. Next
up on the menu, cat, dog, and snake! I'm excited.
Well that's it for the week folks! I love you
all and pray for you often, hope you are all doing well! Thank you for all the
emails and letters, I do read them and I do get them, sorry it takes me a while
to respond, but I promise you will eventually hear back from me! Love you all,
have a great week!
xoxo
Sister Pilkington
No comments:
Post a Comment