Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sunday, August 4, 2013

First letter from the Philippines!


San Marcelino, San Antonio Zone
Companion: Sister Hynes


August 4, 2013
Family and Friends,

Wow I have officially experienced what it’s like to be homesick. It has been a rollercoaster of emotions kind of week. It all began on Monday when we started off on our journey. We flew from Salt Lake to San Francisco, our flight to San Francisco was delayed so as soon as we got off that flight we walked right onto our next flight which was from San Francisco to Japan. That being said, we were unable to eat lunch because we had no layover. Things were very hectic and stressful, but we all made it onto our flight. That flight was extremely long, 13 hours. I wasn’t able to sleep at all so I just studied the language and read my scriptures the entire flight-everyone thought I was crazy..now I do too, I wish I had slept! When we got to Japan we had a thirty minute layover so all of us exchanged some money and then bought hi-chews, how could we not? They’re amazing, especially in Japan! The flight from Japan to Manila was four hours.
We landed at 1030 pm Philippines time, and then finally made it over to a hotel. By the time we got into our rooms it was midnight and we had to be back up at 3 to go on a four hour bus ride to Olongapo. Needless to say, we were all extremely exhausted, we had been traveling a day and a half and only had a few hours of sleep under our belts. We got up and traveled to Olongapo where we would meet our Mission Presidents at their home. On the way we stopped at the Manila MTC and picked up a batch of 15 missionaries and we were able to see the temple which was beautiful! We made it to the Mission Home around 8 and they had a huge breakfast waiting, we were all starving. We took pictures with the Mission President and his wife and then we ate and talked with one another.
We had a mini orientation about the areas we would be serving in, rules, and all that good stuff. Then our trainers all came over, that’s when things started becoming real. It hit me that I would be leaving all of my friends that I had made and be going to a foreign part of the Philippines to serve. We headed over to the chapel where we had a testimony meeting and then our kasamas were announced. Such a surreal feeling. My trainer is Sister Hynes, she is from Boise, Idaho! I’m the first American companion she has had the whole mission and she has been here a year. Everyone calls her Filipino because she is so fluent in the language and even has their accent down, she’s hilarious, but very strict as well. She is exactly what I need, she has taken me under her wing and teaches me all that I need to know, but she also expects a lot from me and pushes me to my limits. She will be training me for three months and then I will most likely become a trainer, so we will be together until about November. 
Sister Wagner is from my district in the MTC, and we live with her and her trainer in this cute little house. We are spoiled with how nice our house is compared to where we live. We have a family room, kitchen, two study rooms, a bathroom (bathrooms are scary here, really nasty) and then our bedroom which has air conditioning but we barely use it because it’s so expensive. As far as the food, I’ve eaten pig tongue and Pig neck but that’s the worst things so far, and they actually taste good. Sister Wagner’s companion Sister Almaras is Filipino so she makes us amazing food, we help her of course, it’s great!
                Now let me paint a little picture for you about the place I am serving in. I am in a little town called San Marcelino. It is an extremely extremely poor area, I’ve never seen  a place much like it before. It is very green as it rains a TON, the roads become rivers when it pours, it’s actually a lot of fun when it rains. A lot of our investigators live in little huts about the size of two twin size beds put together and there’s  at least ten people living in each hut. There’s no such thing as a bathroom, or a kitchen. An average home here is made of cement blocks stacked on top of each other with a little bit of cement in-between holding it all together. The roofs are made of tin, clothes, or any other material that they can find, sometimes bamboo, to keep the rain from coming in.
It’s casual to see rats, HUGE spiders, and all sorts of bugs running around. I am constantly fighting the flies and the mosquitos to get off me during the lesson as well as wiping my face of the sweat I am drenched in. The United States has NO IDEA what hot feels like. We have the luxury of air conditioning and fans at home, here—no such thing. The people live in such humbling circumstances, it is a constant struggle for them to put food on the table. The problems in America aren’t even relevant here. The people here are struggling to survive. It makes me so grateful for all that I have, never again will I complain about my circumstances.
I’ve only been here five days but most of my investigators have been wearing the same clothes all five of those days, they have pretty close to nothing, it makes me feel so sick for them, I just want to give them all that I have. Many of them have no teeth, or all kinds of diseases, yet they are always wearing a smile. They are so grateful to have their families and to even have a job. The common jobs around here are selling vegetables, being trike drivers, or working in the rice fields.
 I have gotten a little glimpse of what it feels like to be a celebrity. EVERYWHERE we go, the people know that we are the Sister Missionaries, and they LOVE us. Jaws drop everywhere we go when they say hello to us and we respond speaking tagalog, they think it’s just the coolest thing. The little kids especially get a kick out of it, I’ve talked to lots of them and they call me their big sister, it’s so adorable. I even had a 69 year old man yesterday ask me to be his girlfriend, my kasama and a member from our branch got a kick out of that. I love the people here, even though they have close to nothing, they still ALWAYS offer us food, drinks, or anything that they have. They are so extremely humble.
I have already had so many awesome experiences here, but I will just share a few since I am short on time. We have quite a few progressing investigators, one of our investigators that we are working with we are trying to get to marry her boyfriend/father of her kids, so that she can be baptized. She had an experience Saturday where they were driving their little trike to the market on an extremely busy/dangerous street. (If you have ever been to Asia you know how bad the drivers are, it would never be legal in the states). They were driving along and all of a sudden one of their wheels got caught and swung them across the road into oncoming traffic, our investigator Jenny said it was as if someone froze the traffic while they were going across, and as soon as they got across all the traffic began going extremely fast again. That is the second accident that has ever happened on that road where someone didn’t die. People die there everyday, literally. She turned around to see that her mom had been thrown off the trike and was laying on the ground, she thought that her mom was dead-but she had just been knocked unconscious. She said it was then that she realized that God really does have a plan for us, his children, and that she knew she wanted to be baptized into the church and get married to her husband, she has never been to church before, and she came for the first time yesterday, I am so excited for her.
The next experience was with our investigator Jeffrey, his wife was baptized about a month ago and we are working with him to get to that point, he kind of wants to but he’s really shy so it’s hard for us to get him to open up to us about the gospel. We invited them to church yesterday, they walked two miles bare foot, with their new born baby, three year old, and six year old and came to church. They show so much dedication, it was fast Sunday which was the perfect day for them to be there because we all bore our testimonies. Since Sister Wagner and I are new, they had us bear our testimonies to the branch. The entire time I was looking directly at Jeffrey and his wife Rodita, Jeffrey was looking down the whole time, but finally at the end he looked up and smiled. We went and visited their family after church, and Jeffrey looked at me and goes, I felt the Spirit so strongly at church, I want to be baptized Sister, so he is getting baptized August 31! We are so excited for him.
            Sorry this email is super scatter brained, but know that I love you all and am soo excited to be here. I love this gospel with all of my heart. I’m still having a ton of culture shock, and have really realized that a mission is not easy, especially in another country, speaking a language that I barely know. But I know that through the help of my Savior, I can do all things, he won’t let me fail when I am in the service of Him bringing souls unto this gospel. I love you all, and am grateful to be on a mission.

Mahal Kita!

Sister Pilkington

No comments: