Dear Friends and Family,
I am doing so well and am just absolutely
LOVING my mission! This week lots of crazy fun stuff has happened, but I want
to share something a little different this week. When I was in the MTC, I was
given a little poem by our Branch Presidents wife, it is by Bruce R. McConckie
and it's called,
MY CALLING:
I am called of God.
My authority is above that of the kings
of the earth. By revelation I have been
selected as a personal representative
of the Lord, Jesus Christ. He is my master
and he has chosen me to represent Him.
To stand in his place...
To say and do what he himself would say
and do if he personally were ministering
to the people to whom he has sent me.
My voice is his voice, and my acts are
his acts. My words are his words and my
doctrine is his doctrine.
My commission is to do what he wants done.
To say what he wants said. To be a living,
modern witness in his word and deed, of the
divinity of his great and marvelous
latter-day work.
How great is my calling.
Being a missionary, I read this poem frequently
as I reflect on my calling the the Lord has given me. I know that I have been
called by the Prophet President Thomas S. Monson to be a missionary for the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints here in the Olongapo, Philippines
Mission. Each day I pin a tag to my shirt that first says my name, and then
right after has the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As missionaries
we teach the fundamental principles of the gospel to all of our investigators.
The first principle being Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe that faith
is an action word, it's one thing to say you have it, but you must act on your
faith in order to see blessings. Missions are extremely hard, in fact life is
hard as well. But as a representative of Christ, it's no surprise that his name
sits right next to mine on my name tag. As missionaries we are standing
shoulder to shoulder with the best life this world has ever known. We are His
representatives here on Earth. He has called upon each of us to open our mouths
and share the gospel to our friends, families, and neighbors. He knows all of
our trials, afflictions, sicknesses, and has experienced them all when He
suffered for our sins, enabling us, as imperfect beings, to return to our
perfect Father in Heaven. If there is one thing that I have learned on my
mission, it is a love for this gospel. I know this gospel to be true with every
fiber in my being. I know that Jesus Christ is real, and that He lives. I feel
His love, guidance, and protection stronger in my life than ever before. I know
that He wants nothing more than for us to return to live with Him again. I know
that I am nothing without my Savior, for it is not me that is here converting
souls unto this gospel, but rather that I am an instrument in His hands, and
through the Spirit I am able to teach these precious souls here in the
Philippines about something that will change the rest of their lives. I have
seen so many miracles since being here, I have seen people change as they turn
towards their Savior in search for happiness, which is given to them through
this gospel. I am so grateful to be here on a mission, there is no place I
would rather be.
We have the opportunity not only to proselyte
and teach investigators, but also to visit less actives. My heart hurt this
week as we would walk into the homes of members who hadn't been to church in
10, 20 or even 30 years. To see this look of despair in their eyes, a look of
lost hope when we first walk into their homes. Then the light that they have
once again after we share a brief message about how much their Heavenly Father
loves them, and the smiles they have on their faces when we depart from their
home. Seeing how lost and confused these poor souls are when they don't have the
gospel currently in their lives is such a testimony builder to me of the
happiness that we can receive through this gospel. This gospel is central to
Jesus Christ and to families. Two of the most important things in this world.
We live in a time that is trying to destroy families, don't let the things of
the world tear you and your families apart. They are all you have in this
perilous times. I know that if you will do everything you can to strengthen
your families through regular church attendance, reading scriptures, and
praying together, you will come closer together, and come closer to Christ at
the same time. I love all of you so much, and would be ashamed if I didn't
share my strong testimony of this gospel to each of you.
I hope you all have an amazing week and know
that each of you are in my prayers always. I am so grateful for the opportunity
to be here in the Philippines, the language is coming along really well, slowly
but surely. I am able to really connect with these people now, even if its just
through a few simple phrases, my big smile, and a hug. I love them, they are
all my brothers and sisters. I love this work, and I love this gospel. I say
these things humbly, in the name of thy Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, Amen.
Mahal Kita!!
<3 :)
P.S. yes the flooding here was pretty bad, but
I am okay, no damage done :)
No comments:
Post a Comment