Area:
Floridablanca
Companion: Sister Echon
STL – only one in the zone
Monday, February 10, 2014
Kamusta sa inyo lahat (hello to you all) my dear friends
& family!
First off, Happy Valentine's Day to all
you lovers out there, & a bigger shout out to all my single ladies! ha.
This week I have really been reflecting
on how blessed I have been in soo many aspects of my life that before my
mission I guess I just figured everyone had. When in reality that is so not
true. We had a family home evening at the Ticsay Family Household and invited
some of our investigators that lived close by to attend. Sister Echon and I
taught a little bit about the purpose of FHE and then about eternal families.
We showed a little mormon message and then did an object lesson.As we talked
about eternal families I saw some heads start to droop,, and was soon to find
out why. I was thee only person in that room who had both parents who loved
each other and their children living under the same roof, and sealed together
for time and all eternity. Moments later the stories began and the tears
started to flow as Sister Echon began and our investigators followed talking
about the trials they have experienced. One has parents who never even talk to
her or take a second look at her when she walks through the doors at night.
They are all on their individual schedules and never interact as a family. She
purposely went missing for three days in hopes that her family would show they
cared, but nobody ever came looking for her... Her aunt came looking for her instead,
who has become the mother figure in her life. Another story is Danicca
Yumul-she is the oldest of her four siblings. Her father left them and their
dirt poor family to fend for themselves and now has children with three other
women. The kids are at the point where even if their dad came walking back
through the doors they would never accept him back. Their hearts are still so
sensitive to the topic and are slowly starting to harden towards male figures
in their life. The stories continued to flow. To hear these stories and to see
the grief on their faces as they sob over the trials they have had no other
choice than to face, I wonder how I got so lucky. And this doesn't even count
for the fact that their homes are cement blocks stacked on top of eachother
with a bamboo/metal roof. They're lucky if they can eat three meals a day,
going to school is an option because their parents just do not care. I just
want to give these people all that I have sometimes. I feel so selfish for all
that I have been blessed with. But at the same time I know the gospel is the
best thing I could ever give them. Money is only a temporal problem solver, the
gospel is an eternal one. I've seen it change families before, give them hope
for a better life, the promise of blessed redemption, and the pathway to
eternal peace and happiness. (If you have time I would encourage you to read
'Do We Know What We Have' by Carole M. Stephens from the October General
Conference).
We have two baptisms coming up this
February 23. Kristine Cunanan (15), her cousins and aunt are members. Her dad
isn't in the picture and her mom is studying abroad in Saudi. Sister Echon and
I have been able to relate to her and help her with missing her mom, since we
have an idea of how that all goes. She has come to church over 20 times-the
Branch thought she was a member! Danicca Yumul (18), I told her story earlier,
she has been through a LOT, she never goes outside and is actually extremely
afraid of people. She is one of the shyest people I have ever met, but ever
since we met her she has opened up to us a ton. Pretty much every lesson she
cries, and the spirit is always so strong. She has gone to church every since
we met her. We originally had her scheduled to be baptized March 15, but she is
ready NOW, so we have moved it up and she is so excited. Her mom will be
getting baptized in March, we just have to get her to church.
We talked to a ton of people last week
and invited them to learn, 107 people, this week we contacted lots of these
people and came out with 25 new investigators this week which was AWESOME. We
are super excited to follow up with these families to see who is ready for this
gospel.
Well the week cannot be complete without
some funny stories. (this will only be funny for my family) Remember how I told
you about the Relief Society President that got sustained last week and found
out about her new calling at the same time as the congregation? Well she worked
with us this week and well it's fair to say I proselyted with Auntie Jill this
week. They have the EXACT same sarcasm and humor, I was DYING. It was thee
BEST. At one point one of our investigators was crying about her problems and
she just starts laughing, looks at her and was like honey we all have problems,
don't show your family that you are week, you have to be strong. I was like
whoa, sass, true, but dang haha. Another time this week we were visiting one of
our less actives and he gave us murrienda (refreshments), Sister Echon didn't
want to drink the drink that he gave her because it was too cold and hurts her
teeth, so when he wasn't looking she tried to slyly pour it off the deck into
the yard. Yeah that was smooth until the water drenched a chicken that started
squealing and flapping it's wings, BUSTED! haha. So you know how America when
someone is at your door, they usually get greeted by your dog? Yeah well here
it's a mixture of pigs, dogs, and chickens. I hate pigs..
Also, turns out you don't need to buy
eyeglasses anymore if you can't read! Our investigator whipped out her
magnifying glass to read the text she received on her phone! I forgot those
things even existed. She went all 1800's on us.
So the other day at the Ticsay's house
their son Gelo was talking about how he eats his feelings when he's sad or
nervous, etc. Anyways I hadn't been listening to the conversation and then he
turns to me and asks if I eat my pasta? I of course got all excited and said
yes and how I miss fettucine and what not, everyone breaks out dying laughing
and I got all self conscious not knowing why..Turns out he meant pasta as in
the tagalog word for "feelings" not the Italian dish..ha stupid white
girl.. (shout out to sister rowley).
So I had a moment this week that made me
miss my mom way bad. Sister Manlulu (member in the branch) always feeds us
either Saturday/Sunday night depending on our schedules. She fed us this week
and then brought us in a huge bag of rice, some meat, and packed the rest of
the dinner we didn't finish and sent us on our way. I gave her the biggest hug
and told her she is far too kind and doesn't have to do all this as she is now
paying the trike driver for our ride home (she always pays). She breaks down
crying as we hug and sobs out that she would hope someone would do the same for
her missionary that is currently serving. It reminded me of something mom and
dad would do-you always take such good care of the missionaries-as am I being
taken care of here. She gave me a tight squeeze and kiss on the cheek which
suffices until I can squeeze ya both to death!
Two little kids went missing from Sister
Ticsay's elementary school at lunch and never made it home that night. We then
go on to hear from our investigators that his is very common here. People will
take the kids, pull out their organs, and sell them on the streets. Well
luckily the story has a happy ending, the two little 8 year olds had gotten on
a jeepney to GuaGua (the city an hour away) and felt like going to town for the
day I guess. (Mom, reminds me of the heart attack I gave you when I forged a
note to ride the bus home to Kasey Mortensen's and never came home haha.) Kids
are sneaky and capable of more than we think nowadays!
I was thinking about it this week
why God lets bad things happen to good people, I have heard so many people ask
the same question so I decided to do a little research..The answer I came up
with is before this life we were promised agency, God would cease to be God if
before a bad man did something he stopped him every single time. But although
we go through all of these trials there is a quote and scripture that I would
love to share. "Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can
imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount--that is the measure of
God's love for you..Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though
we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without
compass, God's love encompasses us completely." Dieter F. Uchtdorf
2 Nephi 2:2 "Though knowest the
greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain."
God gives us trials to strengthen us and to help us grow. But we are never
alone during those trials, he is always there lifting us and carrying us when
we can't do it alone. Rely on Him in your dark times, and you WILL have the strength
to endure.
Sorry this letter is more like a news
highlight, a little all over the place. But I love you all, have a great week!!
P.s. Mom, you asked if there are
mosquitos here, I'm pretty sure there's more in my house than there is outside.
INGAT (take care) :) MAHAL KITA (I love
you).
Sister Pilkington
No comments:
Post a Comment