Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sunday, January 5, 2014

WEEKS HERE FLY FASTER THAN BIRDS!

Area:  San Marcelino
Companion:  Sister Rowley
STL and Trainer
                                                                                    Monday, January 6, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR BEAUTIFULS!
This week has just flown by, I seriously cannot believe that it is already P-day. Well there has been all sorts of exciting events happening this week. I’ll go in chronological order.
Monday Sister Rowley and I had to go to Olongapo because she got her camera soaking wet, so we went to go buy her a new one. We had a fun little shopping trip, it was nice to get out of San Marcelino, and we left just in time to have our pretty bus ride home, and then get ready to go proselyte. Little did we know that there was a fat PARADE going on in Olongapo and ALL the jeepney’s and trikes were no longer running. We instead got to parade our way around Olongapo trying so desperately to find our way to the bus station, minutes turned into hours as we desperately tried finding our way around this unknown city. Eventually by some miracle we made it to the station, and got back to San Marcelino and immediately had to go out to proselyte. We were very flustered and worried that this was going to be the start of a very long week, however we were pleasantly surprised.
Wednesday, New Years Day, we had the beautiful baptism of AJ Sevillaga, he is the oldest brother, 23 years old. He is SOLID. He didn’t always live with his family, he lived eight hours away where the Sevillaga’s are originally from. However towards the end of November he decided to move back in with his family. We started teaching him and the day we told him that he needs to stop drinking and smoking he just QUIT. No questions on. From that point on we knew he was golden, and sure enough, he is. He has been the key to all of his other siblings. They all look up to him so much and want to follow in his footsteps. Per request, Sister Rowley and I sang the Philippine’s National Anthem. Now this was just the joke of the day, because not only were we singing a national anthem at a baptism, but it was also in a language that six months ago neither of us had ever heard before, nor do we know the tune to the song, and if that’s not bad enough, we are the big white girls. Somehow with ten minutes before the baptism started we were able to work our way through the song and then performed it. There were no laughs so I hope that was a good sign. However, the rest of the baptism went beautifully. His face was absolutely glowing when he came out of the water, and when he bore his testimony, he made every person in the room cry. He is so strong, and bore his testimony about how badly he wants for the rest of his siblings to get baptized so they can all be sealed for time and all eternity. He then talked about how grateful he is for us missionaries, and that he wants to be the same light for other families, he has decided that on January 1, 2015, his one year mark of being baptized, he is going to put in his papers to go on a mission and go through the temple. No better moment as a missionary than hearing those words come out of your recent converts’ mouth. The Sevillaga family is almost there, ahh I love them so much.
Sister Rowley and I have constantly been trying to get new investigators these past couple of weeks, and this week, exactly that happened. We are teaching an adorable little 76 year old lola, Remedios Silvestre. She is Iglipay and has her concerns about the church, but she is always more than happy to listen. We actually brought Sister Oliva, a sister from the relief society with us to one lesson and it was amazing! I realized the importance of having fellowshippers for all of our investigators. Remedios’ testimony has already been strengthened so much by hearing the conversion story of a member from our branch. The way we found Remedios is actually really amazing. One morning we were walking out of our gate when we see little old Remedios walking right in front of our house, Book of Mormon in hand. Of course we quickly approach her, ask who she is, where she is going, and find out where she lives. Turns out she doesn’t even know where the Book of Mormon came from or why she was walking in front of our house, but I know on missions there is NO SUCH THING as coincidence. This was a tender mercy from the Lord for both her and us. We also have been working with our less actives a lot this week and getting referrals from them. One of our less actives referred us to his cousin Maricel Galvezo. She is a young mother, 29, and has four kids. She was more than happy to listen to us, and it turns out her mom is actually an investigator as well. She just soaks up all the material like a sponge, and she even brought her two boys to church with her on Sunday! She has so much faith, and has already said she knows the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a prophet. We are super excited to continue teaching her, last night we gave her a baptismal goal date for February 15 and she accepted! We have many more new  people that we have found that I will try to update you on next week, but the Lord has definitely answered our prayers this week, in more ways than one. The best part of it all, he isn’t just giving us investigators, but FAMILIES.
We had MLC this week which is always so rejuvenating and super motivating for me, probably one of my favorite parts of being called as an STL. We talked about how we can be better leaders to help motivate our missionaries to always want to be better. I felt like I was sitting at a half time prep talk before the next half of my soccer game, but instead for missionaries. It’s a little bit ironic because I’m actually getting really close to hitting my halfway mark. I just want to go save the world. However one of my favorite quotes from our meeting was this, “Everybody has a chance to be SOMEBODY. If you want it, go get it! Know what it takes to be a somebody. It starts NOW. 2014. Do it big. Bigger than you’ve EVER done it.” I made a little poster with this quote on it and have it sitting above my desk. I want to be able to say that I served diligently, so that I may be able to report proudly of my service here to the Lord. I want to be that missionary where President can send me somewhere that is struggling, and I leave with it prospering. I know that just as quick as my mission began, it will end. My first zone leader Elder Faka’I stood up and said this during the meeting “Finish your mission the way you would want to finish your life, STRONG.” This is so true, I want to finish my mission strong, to look back and say that I gave it everything that I had. I know that as I rely on my Heavenly Father, am exactly obedient, and diligent in all areas of my work, I will be able to return with honor, and look back on my mission with NO REGRETS.
I love you all. I love missionary work. I know the church is true.

Have a great week. Mahal Kita!

Sister Pilkington

No comments: