Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Sister Chelsea Pilkington
Sister Chelsea Pilkington

Saturday, July 27, 2013

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane!

Provo MTC
Sister Snow

 July 27, 2013

 Family and Friends,

 WOW what a week. I really have no idea where to even begin. It has definitely been the best as well as the most stressful week I have had so far. The time has come for me to finally head out to the Philippines this Monday. I leave at 730 in the morning and will arrive in the Philippines Tuesday night at 930 pm. Talk about a LOT of traveling, plus the time differences as well. I'm excited, but extremely scared and expecting the biggest culture shock of my life when I get there. I've never been to a third world country, so this will be quite the new experience! Due to a lack of time this week this e-mail might be a little bit shorter, so pacencia in advance. Highlights of the week: Wednesday I was able to host the new missionaries that came into the MTC. I was super excited to have the opportunity my last week here. I'm a baby though, the first family that dropped off their son right in front of me all started bawling as they were hugging their son and brother goodbye. It brought back so many emotions for me so I of course started to cry as well. I did my best to hold it together, but times like this are extremely emotional and I felt for that family. However, I was able to help two awesome sisters get situated into their rooms and classrooms. One is going to Canada english speaking, and the other is going to So Cal spanish speaking. Later that night I was able to be a host for the new missionaries at their first teaching experience. My kasama and I got all hooked up on some head sets and walked in and were the "example missionaries" for the new missionaries to get an idea of what teaching should look like. We were super excited for the opportunity, but were extremely nervous at the same time, lots of pressure! Good pressure of course though :) It went extremely well, we were able to figure out his needs within the first few minutes. He had a really touching story, turns out his brother committed suicide not too long ago and I somehow was able to figure that out within the first five minutes of talking with him. He plays volleyball for Stanford and is from Palo Alto, California, born in Hawaii. We had a lot in common so we were able to connect really well. At one point, he ended up breaking down crying so bad that he had to leave the room to collect himself, he blames himself a lot for the things that happened with his brother. My kasama and I were able to teach him a little about the Plan of Salvation and let him know that he will indeed see his brother again, and also about the Atonement, and that we need to forgive ourselves of our mistakes. It was a really inspiring experience for me. I know that in the Philippines I will come across a lot of people that will have had similar sad stories and I will have the opportunity to bring the gospel into their lives in hopes that they will see that light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately we weren't able to teach him the whole way through, I would've loved to, but they eventually let us go so that the new missionaries could practice being the missionaries now and getting to know him and his needs. Really cool experience. We had to say goodbye to both of our teachers this week. It was extremely bittersweet. We had a really deep talk with our teacher Brother Cook for an hour, I told him how much I appreciate all that he has taken the time to do for us, and that he has changed my life more than he will ever know. There wasn't a dry eye in the room by the end of that hour. I love my teachers here so much and am so grateful for all that they do for us each day to make sure we will be the most successful missionaries that we can be out in the field. They inspire me to be the best missionary I can be, and they really have a genuine love for each of us. We are going to keep in contact with them and have a little reunion when we all get home, so I am definitely looking forward to that. Just in case anyone wants to know, I officially set the record for the heaviest package ever sent home. 41 pounds :) Yepp, I like to over pack and then send everything home. At a normal UPS place it would've cost me at least $50 to send it home, here I got it sent for $9! So awesome. So mom and dad, be expecting that bad boy to arrive on our doorstep anyday now! Funny moments of the week: Well my kasama has officially fallen down the stairs a total of three times now. I received my karma this week for always making fun of her. I have now fallen up the stairs twice now, I can't decide which is worse. My kasama tried to beat me though, she decided to fall off of her top bunk last night at 2 in the morning. All I heard was a loud thump on the floor and then her going, "whoa". She somehow ended up being okay though so yes, feel free to laugh at our clumsiness!! Haha Well my stay here at the MTC is officially coming to a close and I am about to head out into the big bad world, I couldn't be more excited. I have learned so much while being here at the MTC, more than I have ever learned in my entire life put together it feels like sometimes. Here I have learned that I'm not going to be a perfect missionary, I'm going to say some really funny things to the people in the Philippines in Tagalog---but that it's okay, I can just laugh it off with them. I have learned that we as missionaries are absolutely nothing without the help of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He will bless us for our service, and will literally guide us through all of our difficulties. I have learned that we receive trials in our life, because WE ARE strong enough to handle them. I have learned the importance of being early to rise and early to bed--I need all the sleep that I can get! I have learned that being a missionary is HARD WORK, it's definitely not a stroll in the park. But I have also learned that it will all be worth it in the end. I have learned that the best way to learn the language is by speaking it, and not being afraid to make mistakes. I have learned to be patient, forgiving, and how to have charity for all of those around me, for without those characteristics, I would fail as a missionary. Most of all though, I have learned how important it is to have a strong testimony of this gospel. I know that this church is true with every fiber in my being. I know that my Heavenly Father is aware of me and my needs--I know that he is preparing the people in the Philippines to hear my words, and is preparing them to be baptized. I know that the Atonement is real, I have seen it and I have felt it in my life. I know that the Book of Mormon was restored by the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet and that he guides and directs our church today. I am so grateful for all of you my family and friends and for all of the love and support I have felt thus far. Please keep the people of the Philippines in your prayers. I love you all so much, you are all in my daily prayers. MAHAL KITA!! Sister Pilkington Quote of the Week: "Sancitfy yourselves, because the opportunity will come where you better be ready to be the best warrior in God's Army."-Sister Anderson (Branch President's Wife) how strong my testimony of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is.

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

I'm so glad for what Chelsea writes....So from her heart. I'm glad for the details of their Wednesday hosting experience. Sounds like it was quite the honor.